Back to the home page


October 2007

October 2013

For the past year the Saniflo had been not working properly. Whenever the pump was triggered it would stay on for over a minute, humming away but not actually pumping any water. We finally got around to opening it up to try and see if it could be repaired. It was a very narrow and uncomfortable squeeze for me, but at least it was spider and cobweb free after Karen had cleared the way for me.

I took off the lid, Oh My God, what a sight! Six years of buildup which needed to be scooped out by hand into a bucket which Karen handed over my head while trying to hold a torch for me to see. We put the lid back on and off about eight times because it still wouldn't work properly and I decided to trigger the pump with the lid off to make sure it was working. Despite the warnings I had read I thought that cupping my hand over the outlet would be enough, however the force of the pump was so strong I and all the walls got sprayed with stuff that I don't want to think about. Anyway, after a couple of hours we finally managed to get it working properly and it now seems as good as new.