|Like the rest of the house, when we moved in it was a white room with polystyrene white anaglypta wallpaper hiding artexed walls. The ceiling had the York Cottage signature Christmas cake icing artex, however it was a good size.|
|We soon realised that the dining room more hallway than dining room. It was the connecting point of the house which you had to walk through to go anywhere. We decided that it would be good to eventually have a seperate dining room that isn't part of the hallway. As part of the lounge renovation and creation of the music room I blocked in the doorway. Eventually I will re-arrange the kitchen to complete the creation of a separate dining room. I installed a heating vent in the ceiling to get some heat into the room.|
|I removed the plasterboard from the boxing under the stairs to find that it was purely "decorative", so I removed all the wooden frame. I also found a spotlight hidden above that they obviously no longer wanted, so instead of disconnecting it they simple left it in the ceiling. It was still wired up but no longer live, along with two other wires dangling down inside the stud wall. I then removed the wall which formed part of the hallway, piece by piece, until I had revealed a single supporting beam. All of the rest has now been removed. I removed the flooring and cut out sections where the wall will be built.|
|I finally got started on the big job of pulling down the ceiling, something I have been putting off all year. Once the plasterboard was down I then had the job of cutting out the original beams which were seriously bowed. Of course this wasn't without issue! Some of the new joists that had been put in for the upstairs extension did not span the room so the fan in the eaves that blows hot air around the house had nothing to support it. So I had prop this up while I spanned the joists to provide support. I removed the electrics and put in new cables ready for the new lighting design.|
|At the beginning of the month I put up a framework for the new ceiling with a gap around the edge ready for resessed lighting. Unfortunately the work then slowed down as I had a minor surgical proceedure on my leg which stopped me from bending my knee properly. I did manage to install the door liner and finish the plasterboarding while Karen stripped the walls ready for Jason to come and plaster the room. After only a few days the plaster was dry thanks to the underfloor heating and Karen then cracked on with the decoration, including a red ceiling also inspired by our Portugal trip. I put in the LED lighting around the edge so now I just need to hang the door and put in the oak floor.|
|After much consideration we decided to put down laminate flooring rather than real wood because apparently laminate is better for underfloor heating and the joists would have been a problem. Karen cashed in all her savings to buy the expensive table she had wanted for a long time which was delivered before the laminate floor was laid. After my leg had healed I got on my hands and knees to lay the floor and fit the skirting which Karen had stained in readiness. After a long wait we finally got the door for the cupboard which I hung. The decoration of the room was finally ready for Christmas and we are very pleased with the result.|
In January we added a few final touches like some pretend curtains which Karen made and the wine racks. Another room finished!